NATURALLY PROTECTED. NATURALLY GREYS.
- Wood naturally greys
- Can be used for interior or exterior
- Safe for humans, animals and plants once dry
- Highly water and dirt resistant
- Microporous, penetrating finish which does not crack, peel or flake
- No sanding necessary when topping up coating
RECOMMENDED AFTER WEATHERING PERIOD
For the following wood types, a weathering period is recommended. Depending on wood species, new or freshly sanded wood requires up to 12 weeks (approximate) exposure to the exterior elements before application.
After the weathering period, it is generally recommended to clean the surface from the extractive content. Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel can be used to refresh the colour of the wood. If necessary and before application, de-grease the dried surface with Osmo Brush Cleaner and Thinner (degreaser), always trial apply!
For all other ingredient-rich hardwood species not mentioned may require a varied period of exposure. Please contact us for further information.
- Sapele: 2 -4 weeks exposure.
- Rosewood: 4-6 weeks exposure. However, Natural Oil Woodstain 727 Rosewood is optically suitable and requires a weathering period of approx. 12 weeks before use of Natural Oil Woodstain.
- Douglas Fir: 6 weeks exposure. Application of WR Base Coat is also recommended.
- Larch: 6 weeks exposure. Decking-Oil 009 Larch is optically suitable. Application of WR Base Coat is recommended before use.
- Cedar: 12 weeks exposure.
- Iroko: 12 weeks exposure.
- Mahogany: 12 weeks exposure.
- Teak: 12 weeks exposure.
- Tropical Walnut: 6-8 weeks exposure.
- Merbau: 12 weeks exposure.
- Ipe: 6-8 weeks exposure. 006 Bangkirai is optically suitable and a very popular choice of colour tone.
- Pressure-Impregnated Pine: 12 weeks exposure.
- Garapa: 12 weeks exposure. 013 Garapa is optically suitable.
- Balau: 12 weeks exposure. 006 Bangkirai is optically suitable and a very popular choice of colour tone.
- Bangkirai: 12 weeks exposure. 006 Bangkirai is optically suitable and a very popular choice of colour tone.
- Massaranduba: 12 weeks exposure. 014 Massaranduba is optically suitable and a very popular choice of colour tone.
Bare wood species with a high content of natural wood extractives need to weather off (min. 4 weeks) before the initial treatment or be cleaned with Osmo Brush Cleaner and Thinner (degreaser).
Resinous wood, such as Larch or Douglas Fir, need to weather off for at least 6 weeks to improve absorbency. Pressure impregnated wood and tropical species like Massaranduba, Bangkirai, Garapa, Iroko need to weather off for at least 3 months. Cedar requires a 3 month weathering period to improve absorbency.
Greyed and weathered wood can be refreshed with Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel before applying Osmo Decking Oil. Avoid using jet / power washers to clean the surface as they can significantly affect the coverage of Osmo Decking Oil.
Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 20%). Osmo Decking-Oil is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well using a flat stirring stick or spatula before use.
Thoroughly clean or lightly sand old microporous stains or completely remove old varnishes before application. If any sanding works are carried out some fresh wood species must be weathered as directed above to improve absorbency once more. Sanding to finishing grades of no more than a P120 grit are recommended. Always wear a dust mask when sanding.
If possible, and if the wood is absorbent please apply the first coat to all sides before installation.
The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
If additional protection against blue stain, rot and insect attack is desired ( eg soft woods), pre-treat the wood, if possible on all sides, with Osmo WR Impregnation.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Use stiff brush (Osmo Flat Brush) or a lint free cloth (e.g. for furniture) and apply thinly and evenly to the clean and dry wood surface along wood grain.
For a quick and easy application, we recommend using Osmo Decking Brush (150 mm) which was tailor-made for decking and allows you to apply the finish while standing.
Allow for good ventilation while drying.Lower temperatures and higher humidity levels will delay drying.
Once dry apply the second coat – also thinly.
- For a clear and natural finish for decking, apply just two coats of 007 Teak Oil, which allows the wood to naturally grey over time.
Choosing coloured Osmo decking Oils help to slow natural greying.
Osmo Anti-Slip Decking Oil can be used as the second coat after any of the coloured Osmo Decking Oils to provide a slip resistant surface.
Recommended application is 35ml/m²